Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

teens in need

this morning while the hubby and dogs and I were lounging on the couch watching tv and drinking coffee, the doorbell rang and on the other side of the door a young man stood on the other side. i opened the door and stood out on the porch since my dogs were going insane and he greeted me with a big smile and introduced himself as Christian, a young man who recently was released from juvenile hall, where he had spent 6 months for crimes he had committed. he explained to me that he was from east los angeles (we live in the suburbs) where he had joined a gang around the age of 12. now at 17 and with time behind him and a baby on the way, he is trying to make a future for himself and his future child and that he had joined this organization called Homeboy Industries. He was happily surprised when I mentioned I knew of this organization and was excited to hear that it was progressing. he was selling newspaper subscriptions, and my dude and i just ended one, so i gave the kid a $30 check as a donation.
we talked about how my uncle had been a criminal most of his life and once he finally had cleaned up his life, his adult child felt hatred towards him and the years of drugs and abuse on his body landed him with emphesema, lung cancer and hepatitis c . just as soon as my uncle had rejoined his family (i met when i was 18) and was enjoying the better life, his illnesses took him.
i saw so much life and hope and excitement in Chrittian's eyes and I really hope and pray that he will follow his goals and become anything and everything good he has ever wanted to be.

No comments: